WHAT was meant to enhance infrastructure in Dalaguete town, southern Cebu, has instead resulted in corruption allegations against local officials.
The National Bureau of Investigation-Central Visayas (NBI- 7) has filed a complaint against Dalaguete Mayor Ronald Allan Cesante and 10 others over alleged irregularities in a P9.65-million road repair and concreting project in Barangay Poblacion.
The complaint, submitted on March 28, accuses Cesante and his co-respondents of violating Section 3(e) of Republic Act 3019, or the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act.
The charges also include malversation of public funds under Article 217 of the Revised Penal Code and grave misconduct under Republic Act 6713 or the Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees.
NBI-7’s investigation found that the road project along ML Quezon Street was officially awarded to Socor Construction Corporation through the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).
However, investigators discovered that the Dalaguete local government unit (LGU) used its own manpower and heavy equipment for the work. Despite this, Socor Construction still collected full payment.
The complaint lists several municipal officials and private contractors as respondents.
These include Municipal Engineer Expedizitas Lenares, James Osorio of the Municipal Engineering Office, DPWH Construction Section Chief Sergio Bendulo Jr., and DPWH Junior Project Engineer Juan Paulo Castillo. Executives of Socor Construction Corporation also face charges.
Among them are company president Fortunato Sanchez Jr., vice president Alfredo Lua, treasurer Mylene Sanchez, corporate secretary Ida Sanchez, and members Angelica Marie Lua and Kim Sanchez.
Former Dalaguete municipal engineer Ildebrando Almagro, who is also a mayoral candidate, submitted the complaint.
Before his complaint, the NBI 7 said it had received similar reports from anonymous whistleblowers.
Almagro said he decided to file the case after NBI 7 investigated a previous incident involving Cesante and other municipal officials in October 2024.
That case involved the construction of a multi-purpose building in Barangay Maloray, which was awarded to Power Frame Construction Corporation but was allegedly built by the Dalaguete local government unit.
The project led to a fatal accident involving a job order employee last year.
Almagro stated that municipal resources were misused, significantly impacting both the government and taxpayers.
He explained that municipal equipment, maintenance funds, and manpower were diverted to fulfill a private contractor’s obligations. As a result, the municipality lacked essential services.
He pointed out that using public funds and assets for a private project resulted in unnecessary expenses, requiring additional budget allocations for maintenance and operational costs.
NBI-7 emphasized that the latest allegations against Cesante and other officials follow a pattern of misconduct.
Investigators noted that the October 2024 case, which resulted in a fatality, demonstrated the risks associated with the LGU’s alleged practice of bypassing official contractors.(MyTVCebu)