Top Stories
news
Local

THE Mandaue City government has ordered an investigation into the failure to act on a request to cut a buri tree in Barangay Ibabao-Estancia, which resulted in the death of a six-year-old boy.

Mandaue Mayor Glenn Bercede acknowledged that while the incident was an accident, accountability must be established, given the existence of a prior request for the tree’s removal.

He noted that had there been no request, the incident could have been considered a fortuitous event.

However, since documentation confirmed that a letter had been sent months earlier, he stressed that someone must answer for the inaction.

Bercede said he has assigned an investigator to determine why the request was ignored and who is responsible for the failure to act.

He also directed City Administrator Atty. Jamaal James Calipayan to discuss the matter with City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) head Buddy Alain Ybañez, who reportedly received the request in November 2024.

Bercede emphasized that the city government should respond promptly to residents’ concerns, especially when public safety is at risk.

He also assured that the investigation would be expedited to prevent similar incidents in the future.

Meanwhile, Barangay Ibabao-Estancia Captain Romulo Echavez confirmed that residents of Sitio Lemon had repeatedly raised concerns about the tree.

He explained that the barangay had assessed the situation but found it challenging to remove the tree due to electrical wires entangled in its branches.

To avoid further complications, the barangay formally requested assistance from the Mandaue City Environment and Natural Resources Office (MCENRO) on November 7, 2024.

Echavez later learned that MCENRO had forwarded the request to CDRRMO the following day.

However, the barangay was not immediately informed of this action, as the response letter from MCENRO had not been checked by the Barangay Secretary.

Due to this miscommunication, he said the barangay had no further updates on what happened after the request was relayed to CDRRMO.

The barangay also sent an urgent follow-up request to CDRRMO on November 13, 2024, which was officially received that morning. Despite these efforts, no action was taken before the tree collapsed.

Following the tragedy, residents of Sitio Lemon are now requesting the removal of other buri trees in the area, while residents of Sitio Caimito are seeking approval to cut down two coconut trees that pose similar risks.

Echavez stated that the barangay is preparing another letter for MCENRO to assess the requests.

Echavez underscored the importance of following proper protocols in requesting tree removals, as approvals from MCENRO and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) are necessary before any action can be taken.

He added that the barangay’s capacity is limited to trimming trees, while CDRRMO, which has the necessary equipment, is responsible for full removals.(MyTVCebu)

Related Posts